Sunday, September 11, 2011

Interview: Evie Va Voom~ Gallery Burlesque



Evie Va Voom is my next very vivacious Gallery Burlesque star to share with you all. Wanna know a little more about Evie's Burlesque style? She says "With a perfect mixture of pout and tounge in cheek grit she has a variety of performances to make you chuckle and blush!"

With The Sydney Fringe Festival already upon us, I thought I would share with you a little Q & A with a few of the Gallery Burlesque performers over the next few days. I was lucky enough to interview some of these amazing gals, taking the Sydney Burlesque scene by storm, & just knew you'd all be intrigued about what goes on behind the scenes at a Burlesque show. If you missed the first 2 interviews with Memphis Mae & Cherry Lush, you can read them here & here.

~

What's your act in Gallery Burlesque for The Sydney Fringe Festival all about?
'Heard it Through the Grapevine', using the classic song I will be taking my anger out on past loves by popping them off my grapevine in a balloonafied metaphor...

How and when did you come into the Gallery Burlesque family?
August last year just before the event came into the size it is now residing at Tone.

How long have you been interested in Burlesque and when/where did you begin?
I've been interested since my teens but due to unenlightened past boyfriends only rediscovered my urge 2 years ago and began classes with Danica Lee at Blush Dance School which lead to my debut performance at Velvet Garden in March 2010.

Where/how did you come up with your stage name, Evie Va Voom?
Evie Va Voom was created when I was sitting in my hairdresser's salon before my first performance reading about an anonymous street artist down in Melbourne that went by the name of Evie. No one knew the identity of the artist but they were creating large scale art spectacles that were even stopping busy streets in the middle of the city. Va Voom reminded me of the way Jessica Rabbit would be described by other characters in the Roger Rabbit cartoon and I wanted to try to embody a bit of that.

Which Burlesque performers do you most admire & why?
Internationally Anna Fur Laxis blows my mind. Her Betty Page tribute show in particular is a highlight for me, I think she is most definitely looking at becoming Miss Exotic World very soon. Locally, Lillian Starr is one of Australia's pro's; all her acts are magically executed, clever, funny, sexy, show-stopping and inspiring. Would love to get to her calibre of performance level.

Have you ever had any mishaps or interesting out-of-the-ordinary things happen during one of your performances?
Taking a minute of a 3 minute performance to do up a bikini top, needless to say some much needed costume reconfiguring was done for the next shows!

What do you hope The Sydney Fringe audiences get out of your act in GB?
A little bit of cheek, and a little more classic than they are used to from me.. needless to say, there will still be some awesome GB neo goodness!
~
For Sydney Fringe Festival details for Gallery Burlesque click here.

Tomorrow I'll be introducing you to the firey Frankie Faux. You most definitely will not want to miss her!

~ Clare x

Image courtesy of Gallery Burlesque

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing on Soulful Mama ~ Clare x